Sunday, May 19, 2013

Book 66: Sara Zarr, Sweethearts

(Why do I always want to write sweethearts as sweathearts? Easier to type, but infinitely grosser)

I've heard lots about Sara Zarr, a local writer who's garnered some fabulous awards. But I've never actually read any of her books. I should have.





Sweethearts This novel follows Jennifer Harris and her childhood friend Cameron Quick. Best friends in elementary school, Jennifer's life changes when Cameron disappears one day. Believing her friend dead, Jennifer retreats into herself--then later, when she moves to a new, smaller high school, she reinvents herself as Jenna, a thinner, happier, more popular version of herself. Everything seems to be going well--she's doing well at school, she has a boyfriend and a stable home life--and then Cameron reappears. And his reappearance changes everything.

I really enjoyed Sweethearts, which was sweet without being sappy, and quiet without being boring or predictable. Zarr's writing was clean and sometimes even beautiful. The story didn't end like I'd expected it to, but ultimately I think I liked that about the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment